Oct 22nd, 2015
Standing Bow Pose – Demonstrated by our lovely teacher Fi, she says…”When I first started this practise I couldn’t even pick up my foot!”
“This month marks two years since I had major hip surgery.
Living with Hip Dysplasia means I can’t do a lot of things that I could do before.
I can no longer trek up mountains for days on end, I can’t run, anywhere (even if I wanted to!), instead I’m focusing on the things I CAN do. I can slow it down. Swapping the jumping, running, climbing for acceptance, stillness, dedication to a deeper connection.
When I first started this practise I couldn’t even pick up my foot! Never dreamed that this posture would be possible for me. Always start with what you CAN do. Just pick up your foot…The rest falls into place”
Some of the Benefits:
- Develops balance
- Firms the abdominal wall and upper thighs
- Improves the flexibility and strength of the lower spine
- Mentally – Standing Bow builds patience, determination and concentration
- Take the time to get yourself firmly grounded and set on your standing leg before you bring your body down
- When you do begin to move, take your time and stay in control
- Let the power of the kick do the work!
*Benefits & Tips from Bikram Yoga Book by Bikram Choudhury